Register your weather station
If you operate your own weather station and would like to contribute your weather data to us this is the right place for you. Windfinder already covers a lot of private weather stations and it would be great to include yours, too. We already have import possibilites for a lot of different weather station types available.
Windfinder is a site primary focused on weather data for wind and water related sports. To keep things clear for our customers, we may reject applications from places that have no noticeable relation to that kind of sport spots. Exceptions (as always) may occur :)
Windfinder already covers a lot of private weather stations and it would be great to include yours, too. We already have import possibilites for a lot of different weather station types available.
To integrate your station into Windfinder.com we need a few information about your weather station, the software used and the geologocal location of the weather station.
We have got support for different weather programs/software out of the box, like Weatherlink, wswin and weatherdisplay.
The meteohub and (in the near future) the Virtual Weather Station already have built in support for Windfinder.
If you are not using meteohub or Virtual Weather Station the normal (and preferred) procedure is that you put a data file produced by the weather software onto a webserver of your coice where we can pick up that file every 15 minutes. If you don't have access to a webserver you can also send your file to our FTP server.
If you have some programming skills you can also send your data to directly to the windfinder server with a simple HTTP-Request (a single record with each request)
We already have adaptors for the following weather softwares:
- WeatherLink (file downld02.txt)
- WeatherDisplay (file clientraw.txt)
- Weatherview (file ???)
- Mobotics cameras with connected Davis weatherstations
- PC-Wetterstation; wswin (file rwresults.txt)
In general we can process almost any tabular and other data format. Here is an example for a tabular data format:
Date \t Time \t AirTemp \t MaxTemp \t Windspeed \t Gusts \t WindDir \t Barometer \ Rain
- Times are preferred to be in local time and in any common format like 16.2.2010 or 2010-02-16 14:30 or 2:30p
- windspeeds are in knots, m/s or kmh (please tell me what you will use)
- pressure in hPa
- rain in mm/h - As delimiter we accept komma, semicolon, TAB or \t
- One or more header lines above the data with the data names ans units are welcome
If you use tabular data one or more header lines are welcome (though not mandatory).
The ideal frequency for the data is one record every 15 minutes.
If a file with tabular data contains data with a higher frequency we average them to 15 minute data.
Beside making windfinder more complete (which is a benefit by itself :-) there are some more goodies for you in return for your data:
- We can place a "Powered by <your (company) name>" link beneath your spot's real time weather graph which leads back to your site.
Please provide an URL and a name to display if you are interested.
- You can embed the wind statistics, wind diagram and forecast into your website:
http://www.windfinder.com/wind-cgi/homepageweather.pl?STATIONSNR=<your station No.>&CONFIG=1
- In return for your data we offer a free ad banner on the Windfinder weather pages of your weather station location.
If you want to share your data with us, please fill out this form to give us a first hint how we can come together. You will be contacted soon for the details.